The poinsettia is not poisonous as many people think of the traditional Christmas plant, but an analysis by the American Association of Poison Control Centres of hundreds of cases found 96 per cent of people who had ingested poinsettia did not require medical treatment and none were seriously harmed. In 92 cases children had eaten poinsettias but none of them needed treatment and a study in rats could not find an amount that was toxic when they were given the equivalent of 500 to 600 leaves.

Photo Credit:

Source

Resource:

  1. What part of a poinsettia is poisonous? – http://www.chacha.com/question/what-part-of-a-poinsettia-is-poisonous
  2. How poisonous is a poinsettia? – http://www.chacha.com/question/how-poisonous-is-a-poinsettia
  3. Why are poinsettias poisonous to cats – http://www.chacha.com/question/why-are-poinsettias-poisonous-to-cats
  4. Where to find Poinsettia poisoning ? – http://www.drugs.com/enc/poinsettia-poisoning.html